Re: Use case: Splash Screen ? Re: starting point: manifests, configs, and the such

On Friday, 25 November 2011 at 01:07, Filip Maj wrote:

> One more idea I had about this whole thing about splash screens is how the
> <content type="blah"> element fits into this question.
>
> What is the use case for the type attribute in the context of a content
> element?

it's for generated content, where the type is can't be derived from the file extension:

<content src="foo.fum.cgi" type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

(side not… do we need mime type overrides? ala Apache .htaccess AddType?)
> Could we leverage <content type="image/jpeg"> or other type="image/format"
> and have the user agent parse through them and show splash screens if the
> right content type is defined?

no need :) widgets automagically do content-type sniffing of file types.
> Seems kind of roundabout to me... But maybe
> that is the initial idea behind enabling the type attribute in the first
> place?

I'll answer more fully tomorrow (as it's 2am here), but I think HTML's video poster attribute holds the key… though it's not very accessible. I'm thinking:

<widget ...>
<content splash="img.png"/>
 </widget>

 As its always just show for 1-2 seconds. Position, transitions, etc. left to implementation.

thoughts?