Use case: Splash Screen ? Re: starting point: manifests, configs, and the such

On Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Filip Maj wrote:

> > I see, but why is this not done with HTML? Is there performance issues or
> > something?
> > > Again, RIM addressed this problem
> > > in their Web-based SDK as well [3].
> >

> > Seems like they are defining a mini-layout and styling language. If that
> > grows, then you just end up at HTML again, no? :(
>

> Yeah, performance. The webview doesn't instantiate fast enough by the time
> the JS runtime is ready and your app is ready to go. So we have to dive
> into native and
>
> A) set up an overlay with a gif or image of your splash screen
> B) go through set up ceremony in phonegap
> C) fire an event ('deviceready') that phonegap users attach to to start
> running their own app init / checks / etc.
>
> Otherwise you basically see a black or white screen (depending on
> platform) for a while, even if in the background some baseline JS is
> executing to set up your app.
>
> Presumably this may not be a problem down the road... But reality has
> always taken a precedent in PhoneGap so we try to just make shit work :P

Ok, seems like a reasonable use case. I wonder if we can get an idea of what most developers are using here. If they mostly use an image, we can look at some simple model that we can build on.

What are the requirements?
  * include an image.
  * control the background color
  * orientation