RE: First meeting of our group

Hi Doerthe,

Proofs are there to explain derivations done not derivations which are not done.

As a very simple example suppose you have the triple:

:my :nice :triple.

Now, you have a rule which you expect to be applicable on it, but that one has a typo:

{?x :nic ?y}=>{?x :nicer ?y}.

So, you would expect that the reasoner would come to the conclusion:

:my :nicer :triple.

but this derivation will not happen because you wrote :nic instead of :nice.

In this case, it would be difficult to find this particular problem in a bigger setting.  If you now ask your reasoner to give you proofs for all instances of ?x :nicer ?y (ie you give Cwm, EYE or whatever you use a goal like {?x :nicer ?y}=>{?x :nicer ?y}) the result above will simply not be derived and therefore there will be no proof.

The reasoner will not give you a proof of everything it tried and then failed (and we do not know whether it even tried to apply this rule, this depends on the reasoning algorithm, simple forward-chaining would ignore this rule here, backward-chaining would try to apply it) since proofs reflect valid steps from a calculus which you applied on your data set.

My remark relates to the fact that, technically, it would be possible to record why a particular rule is not firing (as you mention near the end). For instance, a particular premise was not matched, or there were no shared variables between particular premises. It would be quite trivial to do this in e.g., a forward-chaining reasoner (using RETE). But I make a moot point because it seems to be a bit out of scope of what we mean to do (?)

William

Proofs  will also certainly help for debugging but they rather help in cases where unexpected derivations happen.

                +1!

When I expect a result which I then do not get, there is also no proof to check what happened (no proof for something which is not true).

                Why not? .. (aside from technical considerations)

[...]

Kind regards,
Doerthe