mobile acid test content (was: [agenda] Tuesday December 17 Teleconf)

Le mardi 18 décembre 2007 à 14:09 +0100, Wilhelm Joys Andersen a écrit :
> As I mentioned in last week's telecon, I believe we should test how much
> of the full web a mobile browser supports. We should aim high, so that
> it's actually a challenge for browsers to pass it.

I've meant to reply to this for quite some time, so let me do it now
rather than never :)

> Some items we should test:
>
>   - Some CSS2 selectors and properties
>   - Some CSS3 selectors and properties
>   - media queries
>   - xmlhttprequest

Sounds good.

>   - canvas

Not too sure about that one... I'm not sure a full imperative graphics
API is so well-fitted for mobile devices (due to the CPU/battery penalty
it implies); but maybe that's a concern that shouldn't impact the design
of the test.

>   - SVG
>   - data URIs

Sounds good.

>   - XML

What do you have in mind with that?

>   - manipulating the DOM

Sounds good (although this can be pretty wide or pretty narrow).

>   - Web Forms 2

I guess maybe we should wait to see how that spec moves forward before
investing in it? Its current standardization and deployment status isn't
very clear (to me, at least).

>   - HTTPS

That would be nice, indeed!

>   - Unicode
>   - transparent PNGs

Sounds good as well.

>   - contenteditable

Not too sure about that one - with the same worry as earlier, i.e. its
fitness on mobile devices.

>   - WML

I think we should not have WML in the mix; I don't think WML is looking
forward, but rather backward. Also, it would be pretty difficult to
integrate with the rest of the technologies you mentioned.

Dom