Re: Experimental test harness

Hi Dom,

This is a great start! It has the the most  important elements which I
think a harness should have.

Here are my basic ideas about the harness:

- Each tests have their IDs.

- At the end of the test page, inserts a "Pass" and "Fail" link which
returns the result to the server and for the server to serve next test.
The server should dynamically include the test page and insert the links
at the bottom of the page.

Your harness also has the "Cannot tell" button, which I think is good to
have too. However, I am not sure whether we should have links instead of
buttons. Does every user agent support buttons?

I was thinking that the links can be inserted before the </body> tag and
start with <p> tag to separate it from the test page. It seems that for
some of the pages, the navigation buttons get mixed with the test content.

- At the beginning of the test suite, ask users to input the user agent
information, like device model, browser name, version, etc.

- At the end of the test suite, we should show a summary page to the user.

- The harness should  have the capability of easily adding/removing
tests, for example, by changing a configuration file of the test suite.

- Show progress of the testing, i.e., how many have been completed and
how many are left.

There are also some advanced features which we can implement for the
next phase of the harness:

- The harness should be capable of dynamically including test pages that
are retrieved from remote web servers.

- At the end of the each test, provide a text field to let the user
describe why the test fails or cannot tell

- Provide random access to the tests

- Provide access to index of test suite and results of executed tests at
any point of testing.

- Allow users to complete the testing in more than one sessions and let
users retrieve test results after disconnection

Thanks,
Allen