Re: White paper on the potential next steps on mobile web in developing countries

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:22:11 +1100, Gillis, Bill <bgillis@wsu.edu> wrote:
> ...Even on a continent such as
> Africa, there is such a multitude of "constituents" which vary from
> country to country and even within nations.

Or in a single country such as Vietnam - or Australia.

> ....but I do agree it may be very useful for W3C in
> collaboration with an NGO, local university and/or government organize a
> "field workshop" to which W3C members with interest would attend, but
> with presentations being primarily from local innovators in the use of
> technology that may go somewhat deeper and even closer to the ground
> than the very excellent workshop in Bangalore.   Perhaps most important
> would be time for local tours into the rural areas to explore
> on-the-ground applications.  You might consider issuing an RFP to NGO
> organizations asking for their creative ideas of how such a gathering
> might be most effective and who should be involved.

Having been there and done it a few times, my suggestion is that W3C not try to shoe-horn people into understanding a situation by touring it in a group is a waste of money. Something around the level of the Bangalore workshop gives a chance to exchange experiences that are hard to get directly in an organised event (it's sort of the Heisenberg principle).

> Along these lines, if resources could be identified, I think some
> on-the-ground survey research of knowledgable people within the
> developing country context would be a very valuable addition to the
> information base that would be needed.

Indeed, looking for information that is available and letting each other know more is a helpful thing to do...

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com