White paper on the potential next steps on mobile web in developing countries

Hi Silvano

Welcome back to the discussion. Hope you had a nice holiday..!

Perhaps you’re right about the timeframes for the trickle-down effect on
these handsets, but I still think we’re a little while away from rural
populations walking around with high-end handsets or smart phones in their
pockets. The point I was trying to make at the conference/workshop was that
we should be aware of the reality, but I still believe strongly that we need
to start the discussion the other way round – that we are driven by need and
not the technology. The kinds of questions which came from the event need
addressing and investigating first – things like “what do we mean by mobile
web?”, and “what does this mean to rural populations?”, and “what elements
of a mobile web are relevant in their lives?”. The reason services such as
Mobile4Good (http://uk.oneworld.net/section/mobile) have worked is that they
address and meet a very specific need, i.e. an economic one. People will pay
for a service if they see relevance and value. Surfing the web on a device
is going to cost, too – so we need to perhaps think about what this means in
a similar context. You could still argue that, today, SMS is potentially far
more relevant to these people than a mobile web (whatever that looks like).

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think it’s good we’re having this discussion.

Ken

www.kiwanja.net <http://www.kiwanja.net/>

  _____