Lessons learned...

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:39:43 +0200, stephane boyera <boyera@w3.org> wrote:

>> people
>> Cultural aspects like those are very important for adoption by Africans;
>> we've seen projects fail simply because of this aspect. Hopes this adds
>> to your understanding!
>  That an interesting point. I've the feeling that we could develop
> expertise in understanding both successes and failures. Do you have any
> report/documentation/ressources that describe such failures and the
> related analysis ?

This is something that happens again and again, each time people step out
of their culture. Whether it is about sending an American salesman to a
Thai company, without him knowing anything about what matters to Thai
people, or about building a well in a village for clean water without
thinking through issues of ownership and responsibility in a way that
suits the people who are supposed to benefit.

Putting a few cases into a page on the Wiki is probably a good idea. But
mostly putting a notice saying "THINK! LISTEN! LISTEN AGAIN!" is the
useful bit. There are many cultures, many business models, many different
things to learn...

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com