Re: new updated roadmap available

Hi Raphael & All

> Your exchange suggests an important aspect. If the group is working on
> "mobile web for development", I guess we also need to have a small
> section on:
> - General issues/challenges the mobile solutions can/should address (in
> the development context),

you mean answering a question like why mobile is a potentially
interesting tool in development ?
this could go in the introduction with some other topics
- why ictd (why ict is important in development)
- why mobile as the ict platform

or, this could go in a "background" section just after the introduction.
comments ?

> then,
> - Specific advantages and challenges of each mobile technology (i.e.
> SMS vs GPRS, etc.)
> should indeed be closely linked with
> - Major challenges for developing and accessing mobile services.
>
> Here we need to remember that we talk about a long list of countries
> and almost as many specific contexts (including within countries
> themselves, urban/rural, etc.). We may want to categorize contexts in
> order to point to adapted/suitable solutions.

humm, i'm not 100% convinced that we should identify specific context.
i believe that context in countries are evolving too quickly and are too
different for us to exhaustively list them, or define some that are
meaningful at large scale.
For me the context is a set of data that only the service
provider/developer knows
- profile of the targeted end-user (are they illiterate ? are they
speaking/reading languages supported or not by the platform...)
- available infrastructure: gprs/3g, stable or not,...
- devices available: in some case the service provider can choose the
device (if e.g. willing to serve a small set of users) in some other it
is what's available in the pocket of people.
- type of services and condition of use (instant service or not,
connected or not,...)
So, in my mind, i see that the service provider defines his own context
and some of the characteristics have entries in the challenge section
(e.g. illiteracy) and some in the technology section (type of required
devices and infrastructure for a particular tech.) and then based on the
delivery context the choice of a particularly technology with particular
design and implementation choices are adopted.

> Finally, typing content into the road map will reveal to us what
> structure makes more sense. Maybe we could also make use of internal
> document links?

sure. this is what i'm doing for now. we had discussions last time that
allow me to complete some of the section.
This discussion also brings new idea and content for some sections.

> Steph, what process would you suggest, so that we make the best
> collaborative writing effort?
> I know that wikipedia (mediawiki) has a discussion page attached to
> each article and it seems to do wonders. Maybe you could create such a
> page (roadmapv2-discussion), so we centralize all the discussion points?
> Multiplying and dispersed emails seem less efficient.

personnaly, i don't feel the need to track that down with online tools.
I've more the problem of triggering discussions, so for now, i see just
one thread going on, not a big deal to manage.
my way of working is that i'm writing down on my own todo the point that
need to be resolved during next call. i could surely create on more page
attached to the roadmap to write this list and track resolution ?

> Last point to share, I found that "subscribing" to
> http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2 is quite useful as I am
> told (by email) when changes have occurred in the page.
good point. I'm also subscribed to it. so anybody interested to follow
the evolution could subscribe indeed.

Cheers
Stephane