Re: Intro

On Apr 8, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Kai Hendry wrote:

> Any top level domain can serve NAPTR & LOC records right? I don't see
> why you need a .tel TLD for this specific purpose.

.tel is specifically for the purpose of publishing contact
information. No A or CNAME records are allowed.
You dont _need_ a .tel, but knowing it's a .tel guarantees that
certain features and APIs are there.
(specifically the Telhosting and friending APIs)

> By that logic, shouldn't there be a specific TLD for LOC
> records? .geo?

It's not a question of TLD to record type mapping, it's what you do
with the record types. NAPTRs can be used for almost anything, they're
essentially key/value pairs (even better, they're domain/key/regex
triplets).

> And I guess it isn't specific, because people will also be using .tel
> simply for A records, right?

No. Can't do A or CNAME. Prohibited.
Allowed are MX, NINFO, TXT, NAPTR, LOC and generic.
But beyond that, there are structure definitions to the TXT and NAPTR
records specifically for contact info purposes.