Re: http://www.w3.org/2008/02/MS4D_WS/papers/unicef-w3c-presentation.html

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Stephane Boyera <boyera@w3.org> wrote:
> so clearly the webarch doc is talking about browsing using a web browser.
> For me, SMS is like voice browsing, another mode of interaction.

So VoiceXML has nothing to do with the browsable Web. And you are
saying that SMS has also nothing do with with the browsable Web too?

> We are in a specific context, not browsing the Web in general.
> The context is: i'm somewhere in bolivia, and people needs the weather
> forecast in order to know when to put the seed in the ground. So i want to
> develop this service. I can develop it on the web, and provide through an
> sms gateway the service.

Wouldn't it be far simpler if they could send:
GET tiempo.bo

I couldn't find a Bolivian meteorological dept. so I made tiempo.bo
up. Of course there must be the same data on the Web site on
tiempo.bo.

Else if people get used to some proprietary text service, how are they
to know the source of their information when they go to the Web on a
desktop?

> this will never happen.
> neither will happen the development of a very lightweight (text-only)
> browser, something i believed in for a while, mostly because this would mean
> investing in a direction that is not the trend. The trend is 2g, 3g 4g
> networks, and full mobile browser.

I don't quite understand your argument.

So SMS text responses of URI requests won't happen because people
expect the Web to be of the full sort?