Re: Agenda for Monday 7 july teleconference

thank you for all the setup work, Stephane

On Jul 4, 2008, at 3:29 AM, public-mw4d@w3.org wrote:

> - Discussion about the scope of the group (30-40mn). I encourage
> people
> to read the thread on the mailing-list about framework ([1])

I am glad to see us begin with this discussion

> - How to leverage participation from Developing Countries (5-10mn)

I am also glad to see this on the agenda for the 1st meeting...
I think this will end up being critical to success
however we end up defining the framework & goals/objectives

<< comments on the "Framework" thread >>

- I fully agree with the comments by Renjish Kumar that
defining the scope of what we mean by "Mobile Web"
and figuring out what the different target "developing" areas are like
is central to having
"a constructive discussion that leads to tangible results"

- I also agree with the comment that
"the presence of a killer service, i.e., voice" (coupled w the failure
of landline services)
was what got mobile *phones* into the developing world so strongly
but
now we are talking about mobile *devices* rather than just phones
and IMHO the Web will clearly be a solid part of the future for
developing nations
(thus, this Interest Group)

voice did get the infrastructure & devices into place
but now other services are going to be coming to the fore for
development

just as cameras in mobiles are becoming more common in the developing
world
so will browsers become more common over the near-term future

- I agree with Stephane's comments that
"availatities of relevant information is also a problem,
and most probably a bigger one"...
given the predictable movement of browser-equipped mobile devices
from the developed world into common-usage in the developing world
finding ways to help local information services providers succeed
might be a good focal point for a "Framework" document

- I would agree that the statement
"Developing/Emerging markets are homogenous in nature"
is probably not accurate
and that we *can* find ways to group developing nations
and to use that as an organizing principle

jeffs

--
There are no bugs
there are just undocumented features