Fwd: updated framework

Thanks, Stephane. Retrying...
Atanu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Atanu Garai <atanugarai.lists@gmail.com>
Date: 2008/8/4
Subject: Re: updated framework

Stephane Boyera wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> in order to prepare this afternoon call, i updated the framework document and i hope to have integrated in all sections the comments received so far.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/12/digital_divide/wiki/mw4dframework
>
> Cheers
> Steph

Hi Stephane

Thanks. Good work here. I would try to following this discussion more
closely now on and contribute as much as possible. Interestingly my
dissertation in EPFL is also dwells on the same topics.

The document mentions the following target groups:

  * in general, socially and economically deprived
  * rural communities
  * urban poor
  * important to note that some of the targeted user are concerned
    because they have potentially access to mobile phones and
    infrastructure, and some are not because mobile is not yet there.
    We are concentrating on the first category.

I would try to differ here that any potential HCI/mobile phone related
recommendation for developing country context will entail this
socio-economic divide ramifications. I am convinced type of mobile
handsets, networks and connectivity in general may depend on income
level, but there are so much of exception to that (15% at least)
developing a criteria based on the income level would be difficult.
Morever, w3c's approach to tech adoption does not depend on income,
rather it provides the key characteristics that come with
socio-economic status - for instance.

For the sake of definition, we may want to put it in terms of level of
handsets and network - and we can give some common denominators about
the average users.

Thanks
Atanu