Od: Reinhold Hoffmann <reinhold@notation.com>
Komu: 'Music Notation Community Group' <team-community-process@w3.org>,
public-music-notation@w3.org
Datum: 26. 4. 2024 5:12:09
Předmět: Re: proposal of DOCTYPE change of MusicXML -- AW: Co-chair meeting
minutes: April 25, 2024 [via Music Notation Community Group]
"Hi,

Thanks for the minutes.

With reagrds to

"Myke proposes that the DOCTYPE system identifier for MusicXML should move
from www.musicxml.org to a URL within w3c.github.io/musicxml, since the
latter is under the control of the CG, while the former (quite rightly)
remains under the stewardship of MakeMusic. We welcome community feedback on

this issue, so please share your thoughts here."

I would like to object.

Reasons:
- this is a MusicXML protocol change which requires code changes of the
programs which use MusicXML. I am not sure what it means to downwards
compatibilities. At least for some time both doctypes need to co-exist.
- the URL www.musicxml.org is a neutral URL which reflects "MusicXML" where
w3c.github.io/musicxml is not
- "github" adds another kind of company dependancy to the protocol which
should definitely be avoided
- There should be a difference of "who hosts the URL" vs "the name of the
URL itself"
- if MakeMusic is not willing to host www.musicxml.org any longer, they
should hand it over to community

Ideally, the hoster should be w3.org but I am not sure if this change can be

managed.

My 2 cents...

Thanks

Regards,