Re: Proposal for Encoding Common Musical Notation in Unicode

Dear Michael, dear all,

First — thank you for the early and interested feedback I have received so far from the community.

Second — I have the same concern, that a demonstrable chain MusicXML ➝ Unicode ➝ drawing (even without rules for spacing and collision-avoiding) is close to necessary. Possibly also a reverse chain Unicode ➝ MusicXML would be of interest.

I am sufficiently skilled at MS Excel to have been able to upload the Chopin MusicXML file, and build formulas so as the Unicode representation be automatically computed, to the extent described in the document. But I am no developer (I play with code on occasions), and could not get anywhere starting from scratch.

If someone around here knows how to move forward, I would be glad to be provided with a starting point, maybe a little more than a starting point as a matter of fact. I have no idea how to parse XML or text (tokenize?) in practice, neither do I know how to draw forms in a browser or in anything else. If the underlying framework be there, it would make a huge difference — I can modify code reasonably well, but not build it.
If people want to join the fun, they are most welcome.

Also, the proposal is not immutable. I consider I author it at the moment and will update (and acknowledge, needless to say) as per the feedback I receive, but if at some point it turns out there is collective interest in change management, then I would rather switch to collective handling.

Best regards,
Bertrand