From: James Ingram <j.ingram@netcologne.de>
Date: Thursday, 5 March 2020 at 11:37
To: "public-music-notation@w3.org" <public-music-notation@w3.org>
Subject: The 2020 Agenda
Resent from: <public-music-notation@w3.org>
Resent date: Thursday, 5 March 2020 at 11:35

Dear Michael, Adrian, Daniel, All,

Thanks, Michael, Adrian and Daniel for letting us know about your plans for the next face-to-face, and the sad fact that it has had to be postponed or cancelled.

Here's some feedback:

The minutes of the co-chair's last meeting say:

The co-chairs discussed the potential agenda for the meeting. Michael proposes that the meeting could serve as the formal kick-off for the MusicXML 3.2 project, discussing both specific issues that are in scope, and whether or not the project should follow the same approach as MusicXML 3.1, i.e. to avoid introducing changes for structural issues being addressed in MNX-Common. Adrian will also provide an update on the MNX-Common project.

I'm very much in favour of both formally kicking-off the MusicXML 3.2 project and encouraging Adrian's work on MNX-Common. It was a *very* good idea to define MNX-Common by example, and to leave the formal specifications for later!

However, I think the CG's goals need to be reviewed.
According to [1], we are supposed to be:
1. developing "...specifications for notated music used by web, desktop and mobile applications, and
2. enabling "...applications that do not depend on particular notational systems..."

We agreed a year ago, to shelve any discussion of GMNX (a.k.a MNX-Generic), so neither of these objectives is currently being addressed.

I think the co-chairs (or the CG as a whole) need to decide either to drop the original objectives (i.e. that this CG is only interested in desktop CWMN applications) or to find some way to keep them.

Independently of the result of that decision, I would like to propose that the MNX-Generic Draft Specification [2] be formally abandoned. It has been exhaustively discussed, and I don't think anyone is interested in pursuing it further. What does the CG think?

My own opinion is that it would be possible to agree some standards, expressed in terms of existing web technologies (HTML, CSS, SVG, Web MIDI API, Web Audio etc.), which would meet the original goals. These would consist of standard container hierarchies, object classes, the use of element ids etc., so that files could be reliably parsed by (web and other) applications that may not yet have been written.

I also think that there are simple ways to tailor such standards to any music notation (an "event" is an "event" in any notation). In particular, CWMN would be coded in a way closely resembling MNX-Common. Adrian's work is very important in that respect. MNX-Common would be the bridge between MusicXML and the web.

If the co-chair has no time to work in this direction, perhaps we could try to set up a sub-group with that aim in mind?

Best wishes,
James Ingram

[1 ]https://www.w3.org/community/music-notation/wiki/Group_Charter

[2] https://w3c.github.io/mnx/specification/generic/

https://james-ingram-act-two.de
https://github.com/notator

Product Marketing Manager
Phone: +44 20 3696 1811

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Beim Strohhause 31, 20097 Hamburg, Germany

President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Directors: Hirofumi Yamashita, Yoshiyuki Tsugawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HR B 86 534 | VAT ID: DE118677139

Visit the Steinberg website<http://www.steinberg.net> or connect with us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/Steinberg>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/steinbergmedia>, Instagram<http://www.instagram.com/steinbergmedia> and SoundCloud<http://www.soundcloud.com/steinbergmedia>.
Watch our Cubase<https://www.youtube.com/cubase>, Dorico<https://www.youtube.com/dorico>, Mobile Apps<https://www.youtube.com/mobile_apps_steinberg>, Nuendo<https://www.youtube.com/nuendo>, Steinberg<https://www.youtube.com/user/SteinbergSoftware>, Audio Interfaces<https://www.youtube.com/audiointerfaces>, VST Instruments & Plug-Ins<https://www.youtube.com/VSTinstrumentsplugins> and WaveLab<https://www.youtube.com/WaveLab> videos on YouTube.