From: "Emery, Alex" <aemery@blc.edu>
Date: Monday, 24 August 2020 at 09:09
To: "public-music-notation@w3.org" <public-music-notation@w3.org>
Subject: Proposal for the inclusion of Sorabji-Finnissy transpositions in the Octaves supplement
Resent from: <public-music-notation@w3.org>
Resent date: Monday, 24 August 2020 at 09:08

Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji was an English composer who used a famously idiosyncratic method of notating octave transpositions. Specifically, he was known to use a capital I with a caret above to indicate a section to be played an octave higher than written, and a capital I with an inverted caret below if it were to be an octave lower. Playing two octaves higher was represented by a double capital I with a caret spanning both. These symbols have also seen use in the modern era by Michael Finnissy.

Prior to this, he utilized a symbol consisting of a capital I written directly above a capital VIII, which can be seen in his Piano Sonata No. 1, for instance. Occasionally, the two methods were combined and a caret was written above this fraction-like symbol. I would like to propose these various transposition markers be added to the Octaves supplement in the following order:

U+EC99 - I with caret above
U+EC9A - Double I with caret above
U+EC9B - Triple I with caret above (theoretical)
U+EC9C - I with caret below
U+EC9D - Double I with caret below (theoretical)
U+EC9E - Triple I with caret below (theoretical)
U+EC9F - I above VIII

Product Marketing Manager
Phone: +44 20 3696 1811

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Beim Strohhause 31, 20097 Hamburg, Germany

President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Directors: Masahiro Ikeda, Jun Nishimura
Registration Court: Hamburg HR B 86 534 | VAT ID: DE118677139

Visit the Steinberg website<http://www.steinberg.net> or connect with us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/Steinberg>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/steinbergmedia>, Instagram<http://www.instagram.com/steinbergmedia> and SoundCloud<http://www.soundcloud.com/steinbergmedia>.
Watch our Cubase<https://www.youtube.com/cubase>, Dorico<https://www.youtube.com/dorico>, Mobile Apps<https://www.youtube.com/mobile_apps_steinberg>, Nuendo<https://www.youtube.com/nuendo>, Steinberg<https://www.youtube.com/user/SteinbergSoftware>, Audio Interfaces<https://www.youtube.com/audiointerfaces>, VST Instruments & Plug-Ins<https://www.youtube.com/VSTinstrumentsplugins> and WaveLab<https://www.youtube.com/WaveLab> videos on YouTube.