FW: Identifying to which note a grace note is attached

From: Alexander Plötz [mailto:post@notenlektorat.de]
Sent: Donnerstag, 21. September 2017 22:07
To: Joe Berkovitz
Subject: RE: Identifying to which note a grace note is attached

I would also like to submit this example from Beethoven’s Grosse Fuge, containing very clearly some grace notes that are belonging, if to anything, then indeed to the preceding note (alternatively the trill). They certainly do not attach to the following note, since there is none. One could argue that they are attached to a position (an approach that has its merits, in my opinion), which would mean that it is pretty much irrelevant whether that position contains a regular note or a rest. As a side thought, this would open the question whether grace notes should be allowed to have positions that do not contain such a regular note or rest in the first place.

Alex

BGF.png