Re: Identifying to which note a grace note is attached

Hi Joe,

This is something I've looked into a tiny bit. There are a couple of
"standard" situations I've seen:

i) Grace notes often appear after trills, to indicate the final note of
the trill, and this could well be at the end of the bar. Sometimes this
final note is different from either of the notes in the "body" of the
trill, e.g. Haydn Sonata 42, Adagio, b.17. In some sense these grace notes
are attached to the previous note semantically, though arguably they
aren't really grace notes.

ii) Grace notes sometimes appear before barlines, presumably to indicate
something about how they should be played. Something like Chopin's Mazurka
Op 30 no 2 even has grace notes both before and after the same barline
(e.g. bb.38-39). These are semantically still attached to the following
note, though.

Regards,

Richard