Re: MusicXML issue

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 9:59 AM, No-C-Notes Music <xinamusic@no-c-notes.com>
wrote:

> My question is if MusicXML export is the same for all software and apps
> that use it?  Is the MusicXML export the same from Sibelius as it is from
> Finale?

(Hollow, weary, world-worn laughter)

No, the MusicXML generated by Sibelius is not the same as it is from
Finale. It's often quite different, frustratingly. Same goes for the
MusicXML generated by MuseScore and Notion -- they are all different.

This is the number one pain point in dealing with MusicXML. A large part of
my own MusicXML importer (for Soundslice) deals with smoothing over the
vendor differences.

The issue I have is with fingering, that it is linked to the printed score
> using.  When there are two or more notes played together, the fingering
> MusicXML treats it as a print location instead of a <note> type such as
> <pitch> or <type>.
>
> Is this because of the software I am using or is it the MusicXML?  Or do
> I need to create a new <note> schema in my music notation software that
> will export fingering as part of <note>, and if I do does it need to belong
> to the W3C??

I've been wrestling with MusicXML fingering differences quite a bit over
the last month. Several applications put fingerings in <words> elements --
losing the semantics of fingering -- which I believe is what you're running
into.

In my experience, MuseScore does the best job here: it associates
fingerings with the individual notes, so when you have stacked fingerings
(two or more notes played together), it does the right thing. I haven't
been able to get Sibelius or Finale to do the right thing here; generally
they use <words> elements for fingering.

Hope this is helpful,
Adrian

--
Adrian Holovaty