Re: Introducing mnxconverter (MusicXML-to-MNX converter)

Hi Adrian, Michael, Daniel, all,

My microphone wasn't working yesterday, so I was unable to say anything
and came away a bit frustrated. Chatting via keyboard is no substitute
for real conversation.

I'd like to iron out a little wrinkle (please correct me if I get any of
this wrong):
As I understand it, we currently have the following chain of dependencies:
1. Michael is working on MusicXML 3.1 (or 4.0). This is fully backward
compatible with previous versions of MusicXML, and is intended to be the
last backward-compatible version of MusicXML ever.
2. Features that don't fit into (1) are being postponed to a new,
breaking (i.e.non-backward-compatible) version of MusicXML. I'm not sure
if this is intended to be a real (maybe unofficial) specification, or
just a list of features that Michael thinks need fixing.
3. MNX-Common, as described in the "MNX-Common By Example" pages. Those
examples are "cast in stone", but The Draft Spec contains proposals that
still have to be agreed and finalized. /Some/ but not all of those
proposals are /highly/ controversial, and need to be discussed.

Adrian is, I think, currently working to convert (1) into MNX-Common.
That's fine, as long as we are just doing simple examples, but there
will come a time when the aspects of (1) that need reviewing will need
to be taken into account. (One of those is, judging by the Draft Spec,
the absence of Digital Time)

As I said in a previous post, I'm currently working on an application
that converts MNX-Common (from the "MNX-Common By Example" pages) into
SVG. This project is going well, and I'll soon be making the code public.
So Adrian is currently the only programmer /writing/ MNX-Common files,
and I'm the only one /reading/ them. I think this CG needs feedback not
only from both these directions, but also from those having experience
with other formats (e.g. MEI)
BTW 1: when I go public, can/should my repository be hosted by he W3C?
BTW 2: once my SVG-Writer is working, I should be able to provide some
hand-written MNX-Common code demonstrating non-controversial proposals
from the Draft Spec (e.g. the way multi-staff Parts work).

all the best,
James

https://james-ingram-act-two.de
https://github.com/notator