Re: Cut-outs

Erik wrote:

> Not that it is a big issue, but it just seems a bit curios to me: a lot
of work has obviously
> been put into the SMuFL specification and it is generally very
consistent in glyph registration
> and how glyphs relate to the font baseline and horizontal origin. Thus
it is a bit surprising
> that the cut-outs don’t follow the same logic.

We tried to be pragmatic more than we tried to be consistent, if you see
what I mean. You're right that most applications would be able to handle
cut-outs being relative to the glyph origin rather than the bottom
left-hand corner of the glyph, but we chose that approach based on
community discussion and the sense that the glyph bbox would be easier to
get hold of in a wider variety of APIs, and my personal feeling is that
there's not enough to gain by proposing changing this now, though perhaps
to date the only application to have actually implemented the use of
cut-outs to any great degree is Dorico, so it might not inconvenience a
huge number of implementers. (It would inconvenience us, though!)

So I think we should leave things as they are, but if you strongly feel
that the community should consider a change in this area, please do raise
an issue at https://www.github.com/w3c/smufl/issues/ and we can discuss it
for the future.

Thanks!

Daniel