From:   Erik Ronström <erik@ompom.se>
To:     public-music-notation-contrib@w3.org
Date:   07/04/2018 22:12
Subject:        Cut-outs

Dear smuflers,

Regarding cut-outs, the SMuFL spec says:

> Each cut-out is specified as a pair of X,Y coordinates (in spaces),
describing the innermost corner of a nominal rectangle that intersects the
bounding box. For example, cutOutNE specifies the bottom left corner of a
rectangle that intersects the top right corner of the bounding box of the
glyph. The positions of each of the other corners of the cut-out rectangle
are calculated using the bounding box of the glyph.

However, it doesn’t explicitly state the origin of the coordinate system.
IMO, it would make most sense to use the same origin as the glyph’s
origin. But using the metadata for Bravura 1.204, this gives wrong
results. It looks like the cut-outs in Bravura are instead measured from
the bottom-left corner of of the glyph’s bounding box.

The glyph images at e.g.
http://www.smufl.org/version/latest/glyph/accidentalNatural/ confirms that
something fishy is going on. My interpretation is that they use Bravura’s
metadata to draw the cut-out points, but draw them according to the
glyph’s origin, which makes them end up far too high.

So is this a bug in the Bravura metadata, or is it the website that uses
the metadata incorrectly?

Best regards
Erik Ronström

Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Thomas Schöpe, Yoshiyuki Tsugawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534