      From: Daniel Spreadbury <D.Spreadbury@steinberg.de>
 To: "public-music-notation-contrib@w3.org" <public-music-notation-contrib@w3.org>
Cc: Kentaro Sato (Ken-P) <kentaro.sato@yahoo.com>
 Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 11:07 PM
 Subject: Re: Trill fonts (Whole step trill, and Half-step trill, ligatures, and turns?)

Thanks for raising this issue, Kentaro.

I agree that these notations are usedin commercial copying. I believe that they have arisen out of the factthat scoring software cannot typically display the appropriate accidentalalong with the trill based on the note to which the trill is applied, andthe current transposition (which may result in the same trill needing todisplay different accidentals in different contexts), and this notationis a way of displaying the trill interval in a simple and reliable way.

The question, I think, is whether itmakes sense to add "W", "H", and "1/2" tothe 'Ornaments' range (or a new supplemental range if necessary), giventhat these characters are widely available in any text font and it is possible,if not probable, that the user would want the font for these charactersto follow the text fonts otherwise in use for the score.

My inclination is that we should notadd these glyphs to SMuFL on this basis, but of course there is precedentfor doing it the other way (e.g. the "D.C.." et al. charactersthat were inherited from the existing musical symbols Unicode range).

I welcome feedback from the communityabout this issue.

Daniel