Re: Revised Community Group charter – request for feedback. A list of Musical Symbols in "Deliverables"?

"It does seem to me that a list of symbols and semantics, perhaps partly by
reference to existing works, would be an extremely valuable foundation for
standards that are trying to use those symbols and semantics" - I agree
that such a document would be useful if it already existed, but it sounds
like an enormous undertaking would be required to produce this document
(i.e. a greater amount of effort would be required than would be needed for
MNX or SMuFL).

"If the character exists, but the semantics are not well-defined, it leads
to use of the existing character for the omitted semantic, instead of
defining a new character (with the same shape) for the omitted semantic." -
This is a valid point, but again, I think it is too ambitious to try to
document every single use case of a symbol before releasing the standard.

MusicXML, MNX, and SMuFL are evolving standards, and they expand as new use
cases are discovered. That being said, I think all three standards provide
a solid foundation, and MNX starting from a clean slate, can learn from
previous semantic issues in other music encodings. MusicXML does have a
history of ambiguity in semantics, but I think MusicXML 3.0 and 3.1 really
clean up the issue, and newer versions of MusicXML are always backward
compatible to earlier versions through the use of XSLTs which are included
with every version of MusicXML.