Re: Same symbol, different SMuFL semantics

I think the short term solution to this is to keep the MusicXML 3.1
semantics as is and defer changing the semantic issues until MNX. Since the
same element can be used in different contexts in MusicXML, I think it
would be a lot of work to fix this in MusicXML for the 3.1 release.

However, to make it conform better with SMuFL, it might make sense to add a
glyph attribute to the element that would specify which SMuFL glyph to use.
Alternatively, the element could have an attribute that would indicate the
semantics at an attribute level rather than at the element level (or both
attributes).

Example:
MusicXML 3.0: <stopped />
MusicXML 3.1 propsoals:
- Add a glyph attribute: <stopped smufl-glyph="u+e814" />
- Add a semantic attribute: <stopped context="handbellsMalletBellSuspended"
/>
- Combination: <stopped context="handbellsMalletBellSuspended"
smufl-glyph="u+e814" />

(Attribute names are for demonstration purposes only and are not meant to
be the literal names of the attributes).

I think this approach would make the transition from MusicXML 3.0 to 3.1
simple, as these attributes would be optional. If the attributes are
missing, then the implementation would fall back to the default semantics
in MusicXML 3.0. I think that The larger issue of the proper semantics of
elements like <stopped /> should be deferred until MNX.