In C (Terry Riley)

Hi Dennis, all,

This is a new thread, but in reply to Dennis' contribution quoted (with
link) below.

Thanks, Dennis for pointing out this very interesting case and pushing
the debate along!

/In C/ is a classic mobile score. We are talking about music as Art
here. Listening and performing responsibly is what this piece is all
about. Making a version of /In C/ for a particular ensemble, with all
the repeats written out, would change the relation of the players to
their performance. They would stop listening to each other and start
concentrating on not getting lost. That's quite different from the
situation in Stockhausen's /Momente/ or /Refrain/.

Nevertheless, I think it should be possible to save /In C/ in MNX.

[begin aside]
Issue: Can MNX allow more than one container hierarchy?
It would often be more efficient to be able to leave levels out. For
example, the following could be possible:
or
or
or
<system> - <event>
[end aside]

The 53 /In C/ melodic patterns could be saved in 53 <measure> containers
in a single <system> having the following container hierarchy:
Each <event> would contain a single duration symbol graphic (chord or
rest). The symbols' temporal data could be left empty (to be managed by
the client application, which would be programmed in accordance with the
performance instructions). The two pages of performance instructions
would go in a text <annotation> somewhere.

It would then be /possible/ to write an application that would
instantiate and play a score on the fly.
Imagine a dialog setting up the instruments before starting to play,
then controls on each instrument allowing the user to tell them to stop
or move on, introduce slight imperfections of duration in individual
parts, control their dynamic etc. It would also be possible to record
such an interactively created score, reformat it and play it back.

However: Such a procedure would lose the musicality of the original,
live performance with an ensemble of real players. At least, it would
transfer the communal responsibility for the performance to a single
"conductor". It just wouldn't be the same piece. We are talking about a
complex Artwork here.

Note that the borderline between programming (applications) and
composing (music) is getting blurred here.

> I'm confused by the idea of temporal information having a role in notation at
> all.
Its exactly that (19th and 20th century) confusion that I'm trying to
sort out.
Temporal information is not spatial, so there is actually no necessary
connection between the temporal information and the notation at all. Any
connection there might be is in the intention of the person who set the
relation up. Its often done with particular expectations in mind, but
there are no restrictions anywhere. Imagine the case of transposing
instruments, or organ stops etc.

A fond memory of student days is that I once broke a piano string while
playing the drone in /In C/ (ca 1970?). I must have hit the string just
when it was going in the wrong direction... :-)

Hope that helps,
James

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-music-notation-contrib/2017Apr/0059.html

--