Re: traditional Japanese music notation

Razvan BEURAN <beuranr@gmail.com> wrote on 31/10/2016 14:18:31:

> I am contacting you to see if there is interest in extending SMuFL to
> cover traditional Japanese music notation. I am knowledgeable especially

> about the Tozan shakuhachi notation, which could be a good start.
> Moreover, the Tozan school publishes an official manual (in Japanese)
> which could serve as reference.

Thanks for getting in touch, Razvan. In principle I have no objection to
considering the encoding of the symbols needed for Japanese music notation
as in scope for SMuFL.

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to the worlds of shamisen,
shakuhachi, and koto notation, and I am also not able to read Japanese
text myself. Looking at the examples of the grid-based shakuhachi notation
you have produced with your own software, I'm sorry to say that my
ignorance is such that I cannot determine which characters, if any, are
musical ones, and which are standard Japanese characters.

Some initial questions:

1. Are any of the symbols used in these traditional music notations
already encoded as part of the Unicode standard?
2. Roughly how many symbols are there that would need encoding?
3. Are you able to produce a proposal outlining the characters that need
to be included?

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Thomas Schöpe, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534