Re: Introducing MNX

Hi Peter, All,

Your comments on automatic validation, semantic completeness and clarity
prompts me to give an update about recent developments in the MEI
community. Last week, at the Music Encoding Conference in Montreal, Tido's
recently published MEI customization
<http://tido.github.io/mei-customization/> sparked a lively discussion
about an issue the MEI community has been considering for some time: the
development of a simple MEI customization (currently under the working name
MEI Go!) to enable better data exchange through limited and well-defined
scope, constructs and semantics.

One of the perceived shortcomings of MEI in the past may have been its size
and complexity, and a sense that it was more suited to academic than
commercial application. Even though there is a legitimate difference
between academic and commercial use cases, the requirements for software
development are very similar in both environments: focused scope and well
defined specifications. One of the aims of MEI Go! is to address this
issue, and to make the framework accessible for application development,
regardless of the target market of the application. By doing this, we
believe that it may be a bridge between the academic and commercial
encoding communities.

For more information on MEI Go! please keep an eye on the MEI-L mailing list
 for updates
<https://lists.uni-paderborn.de/pipermail/mei-l/2016/001796.html> and
discussions. While it may not be the solution that the Community Group is
looking for, I would like to draw attention to this effort as point of
reference.

Zoltan Komives

--
www.tido-music.com

Tido (UK) Ltd, 2–6 Baches Street, London N1 6DN, United Kingdom.
Disclaimer: The information in this e-mail including any attachments is
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete this
message and any copies from your computer and network. The unauthorized
use, distribution, copying or alteration of this e-mail and any attachments
is strictly forbidden.