Re: [musicxml] Suppress the 'non-controlling' attribute in measures

Hello Mogens,

your sound files seem to be quite right, as far as I can hear - it is
not quite easy to hear in the full score. At least in the very slow one,
I can hear no fault.

Is the non-controlling attribute relevant for playing?
This question maps to the next question: Is a barline relevant for
playing? In many respects, it is not. But if you player emphasizes the
first beat after a barline a little bit, it is. And if there were repeat
barlines, and if your player obeys to repeat barlines, it is also
relevant, because the repeat barlines have to be at the same time
position in all parts and voices.

About channel 10: Apparently you have discovered a weak point in my
exporter: The capella file specifies automatic channel selection, but
the exporter believed that Finale wanted explicit channels, so it wrote
some numbers. Today I see minOccurs="0" in musicxml.xsd for the
midi-channel element, and that Finale does not moan if I simply leave
the channel unspecified. Thank you for the observation!

About Viol. II: This is a known problem. capella has a concept of staves
in a system, not of parts with maybe more than one staff. So, in order
to catch most situations satisfactorily, the exporter takes the brace
around some staves as a hint to pack them into one single part. In this
example, this rule gives not the best result, admittedly.

You have seen an example with mixed 2/4 and 3/4 that worked with Finale
and Musescore? I would be very interested in it!

Is the MusicXML-file OK?
L Peter Deutsch is completely right in that it would be nice if we had
an easy to use way of deciding that. But I see it is difficult to
achieve it, and I won't spend my spare time on this goal.
I had some exchange with Michael Good about how to use the
non-controlling attribute and this example in 2012, and he admitted that
Finale cannot display this, so I believe it is OK. But there has been no
thorough testing of this feature, due to the lack of exchange partners.

Kind regards,
Bernd