Re: Semantics and Music Notation

Hi Joe, Jan, all,

I agree with you both that this is a rabbit-hole that we should avoid.
But I don't think that looking the other way is going to help us do
that. Some problems simply go away if one looks at them closely enough...

You both seem primarily concerned with CWMN (it is, of course, extremely
important), but I'm trying to ensure that other notations don't get
locked out.

Reading Jan's post, its clear to me that he is referring to semantic
representations /inside MusicXML/.
MusicXML is an interchange format shared by CWMN AUTHORING_APPs.

If there is a standard way to represent (say) Harp pedal positions
abstractly in MusicXML, then the CWMN APP's Developer can decide to
allow the User various alternative ways of displaying the pedals. In
this case, the User would be creating a concrete, personalised INSTANCE
that no longer contains abstract semantic information.

In other words, MusicXML can, of course, include abstract semantic
representations -- but that does not affect the Global Architecture that
I'm proposing.
Its up to MusicXML's Developers to decide which abstract semantic
representations they are going to support. As far as I'm concerned, they
have a completely free hand.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
James