Re: Requirements Matrix and Architectural Proposals

Hello Joe, Dominik, et al,

Joe, I also applaud your recommendations to separate semantics and
visual/layout information by using CSS!

Your recommendation to use CSS for 'performance indications'
<https://www.w3.org/community/music-notation/wiki/Architectural_Proposals#Use_CSS_for_the_Performance_Facet_of_Notation>
really means '*intended (MIDI) playback*', correct?  I don't think you mean
to imply that performance indications (for example,* fortissimo*, *leggiero*)
should not be a part of the semantic encoding, but rather that their
specific rendering in playback should be controlled with a CSS style sheet
(for example, *fortissimo* should be performed at 90% of maximum volume),
yes?  If my interpretation is correct, I agree that this would be a good
use of CSS.  A clarification in the description of this recommendation
might be in order.

Some responses to Dominik:

> - Question about Multiple rendering styles: "... This requirement states
> that the semantic data for a document may be associated with multiple
> styles, both within a given document and over a span of time."
> Could you give an example?

An encoding of a piece might be displayed on screens of different sizes, in
print, or with certain parts eliminated (think of excerpts of music
passages in books/articles).  Each of these scenarios could benefit from
its own styles (font sizes for screen display might be too large for print
or vice versa, page breaks used in print might not be suitable for screen
display, a new encoding for an excerpt would not be necessary if the
elimination of certain parts could be specified in a style sheet).  A
single encoding could also be used both for performance editions (ex.
conductor's score) and study editions (ex. miniature score).

> - Concerning performance/visual styling: If we want to make the
> distinction between performance and visual appearance (and I think we
> should), we should also separate them in the format. The easiest but
> probably not the best way would be using a naming convention for
> distinguishing performance and visual attributes (properties).

Here's how CSS handles this.  Let's say a user wants to change the color of
all editorial notes.  An element <note>, for example, could have the class
'editorial' and a CSS document could define the visual display of all notes
with this class as red.  Here is some very simple pseudo code:

XML:

<note class="editorial" />
<note class="editorial" />
<note />

CSS:

.editorial {

color: red;

}

The first two notes will be red and the last will keep its default color.
A different user might want editorial notes displayed in gray instead of
red, and can make this change in the CSS without changing the underlying
semantic encoding.

Unique ids can also be used to define styles, like this:

XML:

<note id="37" />
<note id="38" />
<note id="39" />

CSS:

#37, #38 {

color: red;

}

The separation between semantic and visual information allows the same data
to be used for a wide variety of purposes.  Hooray for CSS!

Best,

Sienna M. Wood
PhD in Musicology
sienna.m.wood@gmail.com