Re: MusicXML and MIDI

>> This approach may not be flexible enough, for instance at measure
boundaries, or when a passage of multiple notes can maps onto multiple
performed notes in a complex way.

There are cases that don't fall into your schema as you noted. I'm thinking
to some tremolos, like
[image: Immagine incorporata 1][image: Immagine incorporata 2]
(images copied from the net)

Notated duration and performance are not one to one.

In my opinion MusicXML and MIDI have different purposes and adding duration
as milliseconds, as proposed, seems to me only a further complication and
with low benefit.

Enrico