Re: The MusicXML Technical Requirements document

Hi,

Being new to this CG, I have to admit that I'm a bit confused about how
to use the various channels of communication on offer.
I've now read Joe's list-message (quoted below) more carefully:
> I look forward to discussion on the list as well as in person.
and realise that my comments on the MusicXML Use Cases document
(https://www.w3.org/community/music-notation/wiki/Talk:MusicXML_Use_Cases)
should probably have come here. Sorry for the confusion.
Should I try to delete my reply and post a copy here?

Here are some thoughts on the *other* document: MusicXML Technical
Requirements.
I think the sub-title
> Arbitrary apps working with notation
underspecifies the problem: We can/should distinguish between web and
off-line (i.e. desktop) applications.
Developers have to decide which kind of app they are developing, and
then choose the appropriate tools (languages and technologies). Its a
very good idea for offline (desktop) applications to support MusicXML,
but Javascript+SVG is the name of the game on the web. Browsers are
never going to support MusicXML natively, but SVG already displays
correctly "out of the box".  An important distinction between these two
types of application is that desktop applications have to be installed,
while web apps dont. Also, web apps are (currently) always open-source
-- which affects the (financial) context in which they are written.

Most MusicXML editors already export SVG graphics, so I think this CG
should build on that, and define some standard way of describing music
scores in SVG. An SVGMusicScore standard could be much simpler than
MusicXML since it would not have to provide any comparable semantic
flexibility. The graphics (and associated temporal info) could be
*created* by an off-line application, and *run* using Javascript in the
browser.

If such an SVGMusicScore standard existed, developers could learn it and
use their accumulating knowledge to develop different, interoperable
applications. Over the past few years, we've learned that its very
important for the software industry to program to such open standards.

Note that its quite feasible to use a namespace to add custom temporal
information to (graphic) SVG objects. This has nothing to do with SVG's
animation capabilities (which are not needed in scores that have to be
printable on paper). Such a namespace would also be part of any
SVGMusicScore standard.

---
Suggestions:
The "Considerations" section of the "MusicXML Technical Requirements"
document seems to apply mostly to web applications. I think this should
be made explicit, and the document edited accordingly. Desktop
applications are covered by MusicXML, but web apps are not.
Maybe rename this document to "Technical Requirements and Considerations
for Web-based Applications"

all the best,
James
https://github.com/notator