Re: Getting Off The Ground

Am 19.09.2015 um 16:27 schrieb Thomas Weber:
> P.S.:  I should maybe, like Andrew Hankinson, have mentioned that I consider myself a part of the MEI community, but I didn't want to encourage an MEI vs. MusicXML (or XML vs. JSON) debate.  To get going, I feel that Joe's questions concerning the line of action need to be addressed now.  They will certainly yield enough topics for discussion.

For the record:  The above was the P.S. to a message that turned out to be rejected.  Here's the original messsage:

Dear Joe and CG members,

Am 17.09.2015 um 16:28 schrieb Joe Berkovitz:

> - Are these the right major goals? What’s missing? What should go?

The first reactions give the impression that more fundamental discussion concerning MusicXML is probably required. Points to discuss might be:

- Should MusicXML stick to its policy of backwards compatibility with the shift to the W3C CG or should it take the chance for an overhaul?

- The overarching question: What needs does MusicXML have to fulfill and what is beyond its scope?

My impression is that much less fundamental discussion concerning SMuFL is required. There are no legacy issues and its scope seems clearer, less complex and easier to agree on.

> - Are we picking the correct short-term projects to start with?

I see that a good MusicXML specification is something that has been highly requested in the past and is the very first thing on your list.

My impression is that this work is envisioned not only to document the status quo but also to create something where one can later pick up where one left off. I hope this will neither inhibit an unbiased discussion of questions like those formulated above nor that results of any such discussion will be incorporated in new specifications, no matter if they are mere amendments of what's already there or whether they deviate substantially.

> At this point we are looking for input from the membership. It’s tempting to indulge in a wide-ranging debate, but at this stage it’s going to be difficult to reach a conclusion through a large email discussion. So we want to begin by hearing people’s thoughts. Please send your thoughts to this list at public-music-notation-contrib@w3.org <mailto:public-music-notation-contrib@w3.org>.

What about summing up and organizing/categorizing members' thoughts concerning your bullet points on the Wiki?

Best,
Thomas Weber

--
Thomas Weber