Re: The MusicXML challenge - "open commands" - the user/producer is totally reponsible for content, programming and test

On Thu, October 29, 2015 7:34 am, Thomas Weber wrote:
> What does this mean for Spiral Galaxy by George Crumb that Dennis
> Bathory-Kitsz linked[1]?  It is only a spiraled up version of a long
> continuous staff that, if stretched out, would still be meaningful notation.

In this case, only to some degree. In fact, I linked the Crumb and the
Stockhausen precisely because these classic scores already contained
familiar-looking content in addition to the (non-optional!) shapes of the
scores.

I'm asking that we not dismiss or disrespect several generations of notational
development as aberrant or not central to music (as 'unwinding the spiral'
does to the Crumb). Yes, it does require a bit of rethinking of what
constitutes representation of content -- indeed, it can be a real irritation
with a good helping of facepalms! :)

Here are some of my own examples from 1969-2014. The first two have few
presentational demands and most can be made with font elements (*if* the fonts
begin to contain the kind of character variability -- not presently available
-- that permits the flexible "messa de voce" from earlier in this discussion).

 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/pdf/composition-tape-and-soloists-1969.pdf>
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/pdf/withered.pdf>
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/pdf/aurora.pdf>
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/waam/lunar-cascade-january.pdf>
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/waam/lunar-cascade-june.pdf>
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/waam/fields-of-vision.pdf>
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/pdf/aveaux-gadreaux-movement-two.pdf>
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/pdf/water-no-fire-full.pdf>

Here is an animated score:
 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USWnH0kBSc>
(More info on animated notation at <http://animatednotation.x-projekte.de/>)

Here are these classic old scores, including the one linked earlier by
Johannes Kepper:
 <http://www.moz.ac.at/sem/lehre/ws09/ak/02form-farbe/scores/>

Thanks,
Dennis