Re: The MusicXML challenge and Chords

Hi Dennis,

you probably got me wrong. I'm not at all opposed to include some of these things into an encoding standard. It's just that I don't believe that it makes a lot of sense to seek completeness in this area (I actually share your concerns about the Magrathean extensions and other things), and that I find it hard to draw a clear line. However, a standard needs such a clear line. Of course Karkoschka's catalog (or at least the more frequently used parts of it) should be covered by a music standard. It's just that I can hardly imagine a standard for representing things like Logothetis' Odyssee (http://www.moz.ac.at/sem/lehre/ws09/ak/02form-farbe/scores/data/images/logothetis-odyssee-s2.jpg). However, there are some musical concepts in those pieces, which one might be able to detach from the graphical representation. I'm certainly all in to work on a representation of modern scores. All I'm saying is that they might require different approaches, based on their "alienation" from traditional scores. Sometimes, providing a curvature to an otherwise "standard-compatible" staff is sufficient, sometimes it'll take a whole lot more than this. One benefit of MEI is that it capsules different repertoires into separate modules. This means that not everything needs to work under the same hood, and additional concepts for 21st century notation don't have to complicate things for someone interested only in mensural notation. MusicXML has no such feature, but maybe it's a good idea to start thinking into this direction…

Best,
Johannes