Re: SMuFL: Thoughts on brackets

Daniel wrote:

> Parentheses are not presently included in the dynamics range because the characters in the dynamics range are typically combined with characters from a normal text font, e.g. for situations where a bold italic dynamic is set along with text such as "espress." or "cresc.", or whatever. As such, it's typical for the parentheses used in dynamics to be those taken from the text font with which the bold dynamics are paired.

I definitely see your point, but since expressive instructions in italic does not always exist in a score, I'd nevertheless would like to see them added.

> If you have a specific proposal for which ranges should add brackets, and what kinds of brackets should be added, by all means please share it.

I'd suggest including brackets at least to the following ranges:

Individual notes (for augmentation dot)
Standard accidentals
Articulations
Common ornaments
Dynamics (If parenthesis will be included after all.)

Knut Nergaard
Thor Olsens gt. 6A
N-0177 OSLO
Tel: +47 984 85 750