Re: Fw: Re: Request for review from the RDF working group: ITS 2.0

Hi Phil,

Am 03.09.13 09:21, schrieb Phil Ritchie:
> All
>
> Since my reply below I've been trying to see what it would take to
> implement option 1 (char fragment identifier) and it would seem easier
> to implement option 2. I wonder if this is why Sebastian implemented
> this option.

With "implementing" you probably mean "consuming the URIs and
'understanding' the offset information". Production of the URIs is no
big difference.
I agree, option two is easier to implement. You need to analyze the
query parts of the URI - that's it. For doing that, your implementation
does not need to "understand" what is before the query part. So it makes
no difference implementationwise whether you have

http://www.w3.org/its?resource=http://example.com/exampldoc.html&char=0,29
or
http://www.w3.org/its.html?resource=http://example.com/exampldoc.html&char=0,29

so in an .htaccess file you need a rewrite rule like this

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
rewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)
RewriteRule ^/its$ http://example.com.myservice&%1 [P,L]

This will give all parameters to your application that processes the
query parameters - wherever the application may be.

With the fragment identifier this is different: it is defined in terms
of the media type. So a browser knows assumes that
http://www.w3.org/its.html
served as text/html is an HTML document and tries to render it. You
could serve
http://www.w3.org/its.html
as something else and tell your application to resolve the stuff after
"#" to the related character offset - but it would look really strange.