RE: issue-68 from an annotation representation point of view, with potential implications for annotatorsRef and standoff markup

Hi Felix, Tadej, all,

Apologies in advance for the long mail.
I don't know if pointing to just one external standoff unit was a feature or an oversight, in any case what I don't like about the current approach is that given this example:

After the annotation of a MT System we could have this:
And this:
<its:provenanceRecords xml:id="pr1" xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its" version="2.0">
<its:provenanceRecord toolRef="http://www.cngl.ie/mlwlt-dev/" />
</its:provenanceRecords>

If the second p element is revised with a Content Editor we would have this:
And this:
<script id=pr1 type=application/its+xml>
<its:provenanceRecords xml:id="pr1" xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its" version="2.0">
<its:provenanceRecord toolRef="http://www.cngl.ie/mlwlt-dev/" />
</its:provenanceRecords>
</script>
<script id=pr2 type=aplication/its+xml>
<its:provenanceRecords xml:id="pr2" xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its" version="2.0">
<its:provenanceRecord revPerson="John Smith" />
<its:provenanceRecord toolRef="http://www.cngl.ie/mlwlt-dev/" />
</its:provenanceRecords>
</script>

The problem here is that you have to split the original provenanceRecords and create a new one (with the correspondent script element) and then you create a lot of duplicated records of stand-off markup, so with a combination of various MT System and revisor the document could end up unreadable for a human being.

With the approach of inverting the reference mechanism between the element being annotated and the local stand-off element, you avoid the problem of tons of markup and besides it would solve the problem with several annotators for Provenance and LQI, but it goes without saying that is not easy to implement too, plus I see the problem of too many references since the IDs of the elements must be unique, for instance ,given the previous example, you would eventually have something like this:
And this:
<its:provenanceRecords xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its" version="2.0">
<its:provenanceRecord ref ="pr2" revPerson="John Smith" />
<its:provenanceRecord ref ="pr1 pr2" toolRef="http://www.cngl.ie/mlwlt-dev/" />
</its:provenanceRecords>

But what if you have hundreds of elements? You would end up with a reference like this:
<its:provenanceRecord ref ="pr1 pr2 ... prn" toolRef="http://www.cngl.ie/mlwlt-dev/" />
Or maybe I'm missing something.

I don't have any problem with leaving things as they are, IMO they are covering the requirements, and changing the implementations and the parsers at this stage could be troublesome for some implementers.

Cheers,
Pablo.