From:   Arle Lommel <arle.lommel@dfki.de>
To:     Multilingual Web LT Public List
<public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org>,
Date:   10/07/2012 15:23
Subject:        [ISSUE 34] Quality error category proposal

Felix and I have been discussing the QA error categories and think there
is a way to simplify it considerably and lower the bar to implementation.

Example:

                                   its-error="yes"
                                   its-errorinfo="Should be USB key"
                                   its-error????="URI to machine readable
information">
Pen Drive</span> in the USB port</p>

In this model we drop the whole category for declaring what model you use
or information about the quality of the whole document. Instead we have
three attributes:

its-error: yes|no
Identifies whether the element is an error or not. Default = no. (I don't
see that you'd ever explicitly set this locally for a value of no, but you
could, in theory.

its-errorinfo: plain text
Contains human-readable information about the error. For example, Yves'
tool could pass on its user error messages for consumption in this.

its-error????: URI
Contains a link to machine-readable information about the error. What that
information is we have yet to work out, but it could include a pointer for
the definition, the severity, etc.. Note: We need a name for this, but we
don't have a good one yet.

The advantage to this approach is that implementation is easy and we leave
out the difficulty of the machine-readable part, which we have to define
in another project I'm working on, so we don't have to wait. The minimum
implementation requirement is just to tag the error, e.g., <p>Insert the
level of complexity you could add a human-readable error message. To go
more complex, we deal with the machine-readable stuff when it is ready.

Any thoughts? Note that this drops most of the in-document complexity of
the previous proposal in favor of a simple, lean syntax in the document
and we can deal with the complex stuff more at leisure.

Note to Yves: Your point about needing to define what is pointed to is
well taken. We don't want to leave it undefined, but we also cannot define
it yet. So this gives us a placeholder for the hook to standardized data.

Best,

-Arle

the sender immediately by e-mail.

www.vistatec.com