[ACTION-155] (related to [ISSUE-16]) parameters for rules

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 07:12:57 +0200
To: <public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org>
Hi all,

To follow up on the discussion thread started here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2012Jun/0007.html

- It looks like this possible addition to ITS would be limited to XPath variables, as no-one seem to have use cases outside XPath expressions.

The new ITS element would be a <its:param>, child of <its:rules>:

<its:param name='myParam'>default value</its:param>

- The possible conflict between ITS parameters and tool-specific parameters (like for XSLT) could be worked out using QNames (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2012Jun/0077.html)

This new element to set the defaults would not be a data category, but something all tools using <its:rules> would have to support.

I assume tools should (but may not) implement a way to pass values to override the defaults.

So, I think, we have resolve all the technical questions.
Now we have to decide if we do this or not.

-ys