RE: [ACTION-135] specialRequirements flesh out

Hi Giuseppe, all,

Thanks for the re-work. It looks better to me now.

I would have one additional suggestion.

Allowing to use various regex syntaxes and indicating which one, is both a good an a bad solution. It’s good because it allows flexibility, it’s bad because it’s a big hurdle for interoperability.

What will be the conformance requirement? a) That a tool supports all regex syntaxes for which we provide a list? Or b) it supports at least one. If we go with a) we end up with a massive task for the tools. If we go with b) we risk a lot of non-interoperable tools.

So, in this specific case of using a regex to list a set of forbidden characters, I would suggest to actually provide a finite list of the regex expressions allowed. Why? Because it’s very likely that only simple patterns are needed in 99% of the cases, and they can be written with expressions that are compatibles in many engines. That is: something like [^abc] (anything that is neither ‘a’ or ‘b’ or ‘c’) is likely to work everywhere.

Note, that I’m not volunteering to come up with the set of expressions :), but merely suggesting it’s a possible direction that may be quite flexible and interoperable.

Cheers,

-yves