Re: [ACTION-107] Locale Filter

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 11:56 +0200, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Hi Shaun, all,
>

> one more aspect about the locale filter data category. Currently we
> specify basic filtering
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4647#section-3.3.1
> as the method to match locales in the localeFilter rule and in the
> content. Would it make sense to use extended filtering
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4647#section-3.3.2
> and extended language ranges
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4647#section-2.2
> instead?
>

> This allows you to specify a language range like de-*-DE , which
> matches e.g. de-latn-DE.
>

> I have an action item from the i18n core working group to check this.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2012Jul/0184.html

  I chose basic filtering because I think the algorithm for
  extended filtering is tricky (but not impossible) to do in
  XSLT 1.0, at least without EXSLT. Basic filtering is easy.
  If anybody feels strongly that we should use extended
  filtering, speak up. I'm not really opposed.

I can implement the extended filtering algorithm easily in
Python for itstool. I was just trying to keep things easy
for others. I'd like input from other implementers.

--
Shaun