Re: I18N-ISSUE-246: Clarify character encoding behavior when calculating storage size [ITS-20]

Hi all,

FYI, Yves and I yesterday joined the i18n call to move this issue
http://www.w3.org/2013/03/28-i18n-minutes#item04
and the line-break type issue
http://www.w3.org/2013/03/28-i18n-minutes#item05
forward. Yves volunteered to rephrase the passages in question for both
issues

So he'll probably take this thread and the other one
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2013JanMar/0396.html
into account.

What took some time during the call was discussion about the purpose of
ITS (1 or 2) in general: ITS is meant to transport metadata *values* to
consuming applications. Here it is useful to have default values like
"utf-8". But ITS does not define what the applications *do* with the
values. You will see that with other metadata items as well. E.g. a
"translate" attribute is not necessarily used for translation, but for
creating pseudo text or an XLIFF package.

"Directionality" is another example of this: none of ITS processors
mentioned at
http://htmlpreview.github.com/?https://raw.github.com/finnle/ITS-2.0-Testsuite/master/its2.0/testSuiteDashboard.html
don't render bidi text - they just transport the directionality values
to e.g. an XLIFF package. This has also implications for testing, btw.:
for directionality we don't test rendering, but just whether the correct
identification of metadata values has been done. That is the
pre-requisite for transporting the values.

This "metadata transport" function of ITS is quite useful IMO: it helps
to create workflows with many tools: browser, various authoring tools,
CMSs, translation mgmt tools etc. But you then cannot formulate
something like "in an ITS processor implementing storage size, utf-8
support is required", since the processor just conveys the information
to whatever tool consumes it.

Best,

Felix