Re: "Saying that something is not in a locale" with BCP 47

Hi Addison,

Am 04.03.13 19:24, schrieb Phillips, Addison:
> Hi Felix,
>
> I don't think the form of the attributes matters;

agree.

>   either is equivalent, although having two types of attribute let you do interesting things like:

That can be interesting indeed - however it might also cause
interpretation problems: what to do about

dieser Inhalt relevant oder nicht?

So if there is no strong use case for this I'd rather not go this route.

> Another way to approach the problem without adding attributes is to define your language priority list structure to be more complex than just a comma-separated list. An example of this would be the Accept-Language header defined by HTTP, which uses "q" weights to control how the list is ordered. For example, you might have one that looks like:

> An obvious extension to this would be to define negative weights or a "0.0" weight to exclude items. Then you might have:

> Of course, you are free to define a different LPL structure from that used by HTTP (or anyone else) and this can include things like negation and so forth.
>
> My suggestion has the disadvantage that you'd then have to write an alternate matching scheme (BCP 47 Extended Filtering, which is what you use now, doesn't describe this). This isn't necessarily a Bad Thing: your requirements may be different. But I'd tend to be conservative in creating novel matching schemes.

Fully agree.

- Felix