Re: Use of XSD number types is inconsistent with numbers in HTML

On 17.1.2013 11:46, Felix Sasaki wrote:

> Rationale: we are defining this and other data types both for HTML and
> XML. Currently the conversion between XML > HTML attributes using the
> data types the two follows a simple attribute re-naming algorithm, see
> step "2" below
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#html5-local-attributes
> [

> Values of attributes which corresponds to data categories with a
> predefined set of values MUST
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#rfc2119> be matched
> case-insensitively.
>
> ]
>
> We would like to keep that simplicity.

I think that we can just add the following at the end of this mapping
section:

"Values of attributes which corresponds to XML Schema decimal data type
MUST be in addition also *valid floating-point numbers* as defined in
[HTML5]."

Effectively this will prohibit using leading/trailing whitespace and
also it will prohibit using exponential notation for numbers in HTML
serialization of ITS (because this is not allowed in xsd:decimal).

If we want to allow exponential notation in HTML serialization, then I
think we should use xsd:float in XML serialization of ITS as well.

Henri, do you think this resolves your concerns?

    Jirka