RE: Proposed W3C priorities for education

> we also face a chicken-and-egg situation in which innovation is impossible without the interoperability standards required to define the basic infrastructure-content relationships

“Standards” essentially mean technologies that you can assume will work for a customer or partner, so you can build solutions without having to build and deliver an entire stack.  That means that standards generally evolve bottom up rather than being created top down.  So it’s not clear to me how standards that would support disruptive innovation in the education sector could emerge except by selection and adaptation of what already exists. How do you suggest W3C could create the pre-requisite standards in this area?  And how would those standards get implemented in widely available software?

> More flexible schema languages will allow people to declare, share, reference and map declarations as their commercial interest suggests,
> in a way that will allow new semantic meanings to emerge out of market interactions, where new technology has a chance of disrupting the current community orthodoxy.

That’s an intriguing idea, and I understand that the keepers of the status quo in various existing industries might not be happy about a new technology making their investments and expertise less valuable.  But these new schema languages don’t yet exist, do they?  Isn’t the first order of business to get people together to invent them, and then worry about how to help them overcome barriers put up by the incumbents? Assuming there is a set of capable and motivated people out there to work on this challenge, I can’t think of a better solution than to work together in a W3C Community Group to build it.

> power of the individual to topple established interests and orthodoxies by individual innovation. The principle of the community group is inimical to this principle.

I’m not following how W3C Community Groups are stuck in Web 1.0 think and constrained by the status quo.  A CG can be started by 5 individuals, W3C membership not required, all that’s required is a commitment to make their documents available under a very permissive copyright and to make royalty-free patent commitments on one’s contributions to the CG. There’s nothing that stakeholders with antithetical business models can do to stop a CG from collaborating, publishing, and evangelizing its work, yet those activities benefit from exposure to the broad W3C community and alignment with W3C’s “brand.”