What can W3C do to help

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:42:34 +0100
To: public-most-important-priorities@w3.org
Dear all,

I'm a Semantic Web developer and researcher. Unfortunately, all the real development I have ever
done that has benefitted others have been on my spare time.

It is quite clear that the Semantic Web idea is struggling with getting acceptance, and I think the
main problem is that we haven't been able to lay down a solid development stack that other
developers can work on with ease, and deploy cheeply and reliably. That, I think, should be the first
priority of the Semantic Web community, and therefore also of the W3C.

However, it is not clear to me what the W3C can do to help. Surely, you can't fund a bunch of
developers to sit and hack a (or rather several) Free Software semweb stack?

Can you help us find funding elsewhere? There are a few things that can be done to simplify
specifications for semweb  developers, but for the most part, they're good enough, we need
libraries.

So, setting priorities is an important step, but I suppose there are constraints on what you can do,
so what are these constraints?

Best,

Kjetil