Re: Subtests that apply to HTTP header fields [was: Re: mobileOK validation logic - jar file?]

Yeliz Yesilada wrote:
> Hi Francois,
>
> I am sorry but I am a bit confused about what you are suggesting :(

Yes, I see what you mean, I was mostly thinking aloud, but didn't make
any choice ;)

I think I convinced myself that the first approach below is both the
most satisfactory and the easiest to implement. So I'd go for it.

> Are we talking about the same approach? so in summary...

> Francois wrote:
>> Another possibility is to have FAIL override CANNOTTELL. In other
>> words compute the test outcome as:
>>  If any of the subtests outcome is FAIL,
>>    then test outcome is FAIL
>>  else if any of the subtests outcome is CANNOTTELL,
>>    then test outcome is CANNOTTELL
>>  else
>>    test outcome is PASS
>> ... and about the same thing at the overall outcome level.

+1 for this one. It's easy to implement and ensures the outcome value
still means something:
  PASS: mobileOK
  CANNOTTELL: looking fine, but not everything could be checked
  FAIL: something's wrong (test may not have been run entirely)

> or are you suggesting that we go for your original suggestion by
> including PARTIAL results?
>
>> In short, the possible outcomes for a subtest (the <result> element in
>> the XML report) would be:
>>  - PASS, WARN, FAIL for subtests that can be run normally.
>>  - PARTIAL_PASS, PARTIAL_WARN, PARTIAL_FAIL for subtests that can only
>> be applied partially.
>>  - CANNOTTELL for subtests that simply can't be run.
>>
>> The possible outcomes for a test would be:
>>  - PASS, FAIL for tests that can be completely checked
>>  - PARTIAL_PASS, PARTIAL_FAIL when there is a PARTIAL_* and/or
>> CANNOTTELL in one of the subtests
>>  - CANNOTTELL when none of the subtests could be run (e.g. for CACHING)
>>
>> The possible overall outcomes would be:
>>  - PASS, FAIL when all tests can be completely checked (http/https case)
>>  - PARTIAL_PASS, PARTIAL_FAIL where there is a PARTIAL_* and/or
>> CANNOTTELL in one of the tests

-1 for that one, since it's more complex and the outcome value would
then carry two orthogonal dimensions, which doesn't look that good.

Francois.